Please do not use "post comments" to ask for camera help and advice.
Use phone, Skype IM or eMail.

Thursday 13 January 2011

American Signal Crayfish

In September 2009 I was on a trip south to visit family and spent a day with a friend of mine, fishing for the American Signal Crayfish, near Kingham in Oxfordshire.

This is the River Evenlode on its upper reaches where it meanders through rough pasture on its way into the Thames catchment.

I was interested to see just how much these invaders had taken over and was a bit alarmed to find how many there were in a short stretch of river.

We were using 6 baited traps placed about a hundred metres apart, which were left for about an hour and a half.

When they were collected they were mostly  full and falling over the sides.

I confess to knowing little about the effects these invaders are having on the UK's riparian habitat but hearing of their voracious reputation and that they will apparently turn to cannibalism when food runs out, I would imagine their possible impact is nothing short of potentially catastrophic.









































Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
This web site is about the wildlife, particularly the mammals, of the Glen Affric National Nature Reserve area in the north west Highlands of Scotland, UK; and the equipment I use to search for them, which is chiefly trail cameras.

I provide a technical support and parts service for the Ltl Acorn range of cameras and the income from this provides for the upkeep of this site and the purchase of cameras for my own surveying.

I hope you find the site useful and informative; and please contact me if you have any questions that I haven't already covered.