Please do not use "post comments" to ask for camera help and advice.
Use phone, Skype IM or eMail.

Saturday 13 August 2011

Are these Wildcat (Felis silvestris) prints

I don't want to get too excited about these prints at the moment but they are almost certainly cat and very large for a domestic. They are also over a kilometre from the nearest human habitation and on a forest track leading to open hill.

The first two images are for sizing and on the third image I have overlaid my interpretation of the prints. The white line is roughly the visible part of the fore print and the red outlines the hind print which is slightly forward and offset. This is fairly typical of a cats walking gait.

The fourth image is of a fresh print found in the same area about six days later.




  
As shown by all of these images there is no sign of claw marks and each print is at least 4 cm long by 3.5 cm wide. I live in hope and have cameras out in the area.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
This web site is about the wildlife, particularly the mammals, of the Glen Affric National Nature Reserve area in the north west Highlands of Scotland, UK; and the equipment I use to search for them, which is chiefly trail cameras.

I provide a technical support and parts service for the Ltl Acorn range of cameras and the income from this provides for the upkeep of this site and the purchase of cameras for my own surveying.

I hope you find the site useful and informative; and please contact me if you have any questions that I haven't already covered.